Speech L3

Just another Edublogs.org weblog

Informational Speech: Full Outline

October 27, 2010 by clarissal3 · No Comments · Uncategorized

Clarissa                                                                                                Prof. Blake

Aponte, Clarissa                                                                               October 18, 2010

Section L3, Group A                                                                       [email protected]

Informative Speech Outline

Topic: Type 2 diabetes

Type of Speech: Concept

Strategy for Presenting Content: Description

General Purpose: To inform

Specific Purpose: To inform my audience of the basic facts about type 2 diabetes.

Thesis Statement: Diabetes is an all too common disease that is fully known by some, yet widely unknown to others.

Introduction:

• Tell the class about my experience with being tested for type 2 diabetes and how scared and unsure I felt, since my family has a history with the disease.
  • Thesis Statement: Diabetes is an all too common disease that is fully known by some, yet widely unknown to others.
  • Preview – Point 1: What type 2 diabetes is; Point 2: Medications that are available to manage the illness; Point 3: Preventions and symptoms for diabetes.

Body:

1. Main Idea 1 – What Type 2 diabetes is
    1. Tell the class the definition of diabetes according to Everything You Need to Know About Diabetes by Melanie Ann Apel, the definition of type 2 diabetes according to the website of the American Diabetes Association (or ADA), and what insulin is and how it works.
    2. About 15.7 million people in the U.S. have diabetes, and 5.4 million do not even know or have not yet been diagnosed (according to the ADA). Give some similar factors among the majority of those who have diabetes, such as age, weight, and ethnic group.
  2. Main Idea 2 – Medications for diabetes
    1. Present to the class the various medications that diabetics can take, such as insulin shots, insulin pumps, and diabetes pills, and describe each.
    2. Mention how diabetics use a meter to regularly test their blood sugar.
  3. Main Idea – Preventions/Symptoms for diabetes
    1. Tell class some suggestions for making sure that they do not obtain diabetes, such as having a healthy diet and performing physical exercise.
    2. Give some symptoms for diabetes, including blurred vision and numbness in the hands or feet (make sure to mention that some type 2 diabetics show no symptoms, but this is usually rare).
    3. Describe what pre-diabetes is, and mention how 57 million people in the U.S. have this (according to the ADA) and are unknowingly at risk.

Conclusion:

• Tell class that I, thankfully, do not have type 2 diabetes, but I do have pre-diabetes, and I have adjusted my diet to eating healthier foods in order to get myself out of the risk zone.
  • The experience made me more aware of what millions of diabetics have to go through each day in order to stay alive.
  • Many diabetics can now live long, happy, and normal lives thanks to advanced medications that help them manage the disease.

No Comments so far ↓

There are no comments yet...Kick things off by filling out the form below.